The Creator (2023)

Having been a fan of Gareth Edwards since seeing 2010’s ‘Monsters’, I was keen to see what he would do in his first film since 2016’s Rogue One. I liked that film a lot more than most people seemed to.  The budget of this film is the story of my review because it cost a reported $80 million dollars and yet it looks like it cost $200million. It looks more expensive than some of the most recent Marvel films and tv shows. There is a similar style to Rogue One which might put some people off but I found it worked in the films’ favour.

Admittedly the plot isn’t the greatest and it did feel like it was buckling under the pressure of justifying the visuals. Normally I would baulk at the phrase style over substance but I think that it’s true for this film. I love this film and think it should be seen by everyone on the biggest screen possible but I would be lying if i said i loved the plot because it doesn't work quite as well as it could have done. I think that John David Washington does a good job as Joshua and through his performance I ended up rooting for his character. I always like Allison Janney in whatever she is in and normally she is playing the goodie but in this movie she is the villain and she is having a lot of fun with it.  


This isn’t the best Gareth Edwards film that there is but i think what is most impressive about it and the reason why people should watch it is that it shows that you don’t have to spend $200 million to make something look spectacular. It shouldn’t come as a surprise as ‘Monsters’ was done on a shoestring budget and looked better than a lot of films out at that time with 10 times the budget. If Edwards could get a story that did his visuals justice then he would easily be one of the best directors around.


Comments