Fall 2 was a mystery screening and this was one of the best attended mystery screenings although Mystery is a generous as it was quite clear that it would be Fall 2. There is always a question about whether a mediocre film needs a sequel but clearly Fall did well enough to get a sequel which I confess that I have seen but couldn't be bothered to re-watch it even though it was on TV last night. The sequel follows on from the first where the sister of Shiloh is persuaded to visit Thailand to of a plank walk on the side of a mountain on Mount Kwan by a friend of Shiloh.
Things go wrong relatively quickly once they start their illegal climb and I will be honest that this film did make me a little bit anxious. I'm not afraid of heights but the unstable way that the planks of wood were assembled was enough to make me feel uneasy which I suppose is what directors were aiming for. I am pretty sure that they filmed a lot of this with blue screen but credit go to the special effects because they do make it look like they did film it up a mountain.
I thought that Harriet Slater (Jax) and Arsema Thomas (Luce/Billie) were doing their best with what was a flimsy at best script and use the restricted setting well enough. I think that other people might get more out of their relationship although I only found it interesting after the truth about Luce comes out.
The film splits a flashback between Jax and Shiloh as they go skydiving and it ends with Jax telling Shiloh to drop dead which was the last conversation they have so the film is about her coming to peace with how things ended and doing the trek in her honour. The first twist that Luce is in fact a fan of what happened and in fact named Billie was somewhat predictable but I suppose that there wouldn't be much to enjoy about this film without the predicable things.
It was clear that Jon was either going to die saving our two leads or be an evil guy with a sinister secret and it rather predictably turned out to be the latter. The oxygen tanks they were given contain Fentanyl and Jon was using Jax and Billie as drugs mules which was mildly interesting although it does feel like it was one plot contrivance too many. The film didn't need this and they could have been rescued by someone else.
Fall 2 or Fall 2: Deadpoint as it is also known as is an ok film. It's a film that doesn't have much in the way of plot and so would have to rely on its characters and them being interesting enough to get you through it and sadly I found both Jax and Billie to not being the most well thought out characters because these sort of people who do these stupid treks are hard to feel any empathy towards. I don't think that there needs to be a third but if this takes the money then that third one will be on its way.
No comments:
Post a Comment