Normally I would say 'do we need another film about Robin Hood?' But this is a genuinely different take on the mythical character that is perhaps best know for stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. This is very much a different take with Hugh Jackman playing the titular character. This film is directed by Michael Sarnoski who previously did Pig where Nicholas Cage is friends with a Pig and did the Quiet Place prequel which was a lot better than I was expecting but those films are very much character pieces so I sort of knew what to expect but I will be honest that it took a while for me to understand that this isn't your typical Robin Hood film.
Hugh Jackman gives a very good performance but I did feel that it was a bit like a stage performance. The last time I saw Jackman in a movie at the cinema was in The Sheep Detectives and you couldn't get two more different films if you tried and yet Jackman is clearly having fun in both. He gets to do 'proper acting' in this and is the primary reason why the film works as well as it does.
Jodie Comer was also very good as Sister Brigid. It is a fairly ordinary part but Comer does what Comer does and makes it much more interesting than it would have been in the hands of someone else. Brigid's importance in the story comes when it's revealed that Robin Hood killed her family so she is torn with how to feel and what to do. It's a great scene when this revelation happens. Bill Skarsgård also stars in this film as Little John although I honestly didn't know that it was him until I started writing this review. He isn't in it a great deal and it isn't your typical performance from him.
It is also worth noting that Faith Delaney deserves some praise as she is really quite good as the little girl that Robin Hood becomes attached to and trains her to use a bow and arrow. She is quite good despite not really having much to do but is the emotional weight in that portion of the film.
There are some truly beautiful location shots in this film and that almost becomes a character in itself. I think it has been a good year for films with stunning locations as Glenrothan and 500 Miles have shown some incredible sights and this film probably tops them. Not sure how much was special effects or how much was real but that along with the cinematography helps create a wonderful world.
It is worth pointing out that this was a preview screening and yet I was the only person in the screening. It has been a very long time since I have had a screening all to myself. I think that this is going to be a tough watch for most people. The film is more of a character piece which worked for me but if you are looking for something along the lines of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves then you are going to be disappointed but if you want something that follows a man trying to come to terms with his life as he is about to reach the end then I think that you will take something from it.
It's worth watching but I don't think it will watched by many but I hope that I am proved wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment