Lady was a mystery screening that was fairly well attended on a Monday night. I would estimate about 30-40 people were in attendance when the film started but after about 20 minutes I would say 10 people left and to be honest I couldn't blame them. For the first time since Megalopolis I seriously considered walking out. Ultimately the reason why I didn't is because at the point I was considering getting up, the film started getting interesting.
The set up of the film is that Sam (Laurie Kynaston) is an aspiring documentary maker who is hired by eccentric Lady Isabella (Sian Clifford) to make a film about her for Netflix. The truth is that there is no documentary and as the film progresses she starts to turn invisible. She tells Sam that her son is at boarding school but this turns out to be a lie as he died and the invisibility and the fact that she hasn't left the house/mansion in five years becomes about her grief and their odd relationship.
The main issue is that the film is trying to be like Saltburn but it doesn't have the story or the characters to pull it off. I think Sian Clifford does a good job of presenting Isabella as an odd and tragic person and Knynaston does an ok job as Sam and there is some interesting character stuff regarding his issue with performing but it never comes together in a coherent way. The invisibility stuff comes at the right time but it's never acknowledged in an attempt to try and explain it. By the time we learn about her son’s death it is way too late into the movie to save it and it really becomes a film where strange things happen for strangeness’ sake. I think if the film were a short then it would have worked better but at 95 minutes the film is stretching itself too thin.
Lady isn't the worst film of 2026 but it's pretty close. I think what stops it beating 100 Nights of Hero is that film genuinely frustrated me and bored me whereas there was something intriguing about this film and despite it being a terrible film I think that the mystery aspect was a success because it means that I see films that I probably wouldn't have seen normally or on streaming and most of the time they are good but occasionally they are bad. I wouldn't recommend seeing this as there is very little to get you through it.
No comments:
Post a Comment