The Fall Guy (2024)



I will admit that I wasn’t sure that I wanted to see this film from the trailers. It looked like it was a goofy comedy that seemed to be capitalising on the continuing popularity of Ryan Gosling fresh off his Oscar nomination. There were two things that made me take a more serious approach to this film. Firstly its based on the 1970’s US TV show which I remember being shown on ITV on a Saturday during the 1990’s. Another reason is because it was directed by David Leitch who is a director I like. I’m a big fan of Bullet Train & Atomic Blonde

The plot sees Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling) taking part in a stunt for a movie whilst flirting with Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt)  when it goes wrong. The story moves forward when he asked by Gail Meyer (played in scene chewing form by Hannah Waddingham) to try and track him down. What the film ends up becoming about is Colt being framed for a death that the actor is is stunting for is responsible for. 


I really enjoyed this film. Not just because the stunts are amazing from the cars/trucks on the beach to the garbage truck tracking a skip along the streets of Sydney. All these action scenes look amazing and I would imagine most of the action was done in camera (meaning no CGI) but even after hearing ‘I was made for Loving You’ for what felt like the 100th time,  I still enjoyed the chaos that was on screen. 


The plot does take a bit of time to get going and also  at times come close to being convoluted but it manages to work. I think that this would have worked much better with a stripped down plot and let the stunts and the chemistry of Blunt and Gosling keep people engaged. The main reason why the film works is because of Gosling and Blunt. Blunt’s character isn’t the strongest but works when she is with Gosling’s Seavers. It doesnt feel like Gosling is acting as he natural personality seems to come through the rather normal character. 


I was genuinely impressed with The Fall Guy. I thought that it worked really well and was a rare thing in modern day movies in that it wasnt too long. It was just the right running time. 

Comments