Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023)

It’s been about 12 years since i saw my last Transformers movie. I saw the first in 2007 and enjoyed it, the second one was such a depressing experience that I went home and watched the animated 1986 movie to remind myself what a good  Transformers movie was like, I watched the next one but gave up on the series because it became clear that Michael Bay was a hack director who was ruining the series. So because I knew Unicron was the baddie in this film, I thought that I would give the series another go.

The first thing I noticed about this film was that the plot was much better than the Michael Bay films. There was a bit too much establishing how tough things were for Noah and his family but I understand that they have to set the character up so that we cared but I personally could have done without that. Noah is a good character who is played well by Anthony Ramos and Dominique Fishback is always good and whilst this isnt the best performance she has given, I thought she was very good in this. There was a nice balance and dynamic between the two characters and they worked well together.

Inevitably the film has to be about robots hitting each other and it is done way better than in the Michael Bay films because you can actually see what is going on and as a result can get emotionally connected with it. Unicron is very well realised and his size means it cant get involved in the plot as much as most baddies could so the film comes up with Scourge who is an effective second villain.

The film is directed by Steven Caple Jr who directed the weakest in the Creed series (2) does a very good job of keeping things moving and interesting. In the hands of a lesser director, this would have been a mess but because of the care that Caple Jr put into the movie, I found myself caring about the humans and the robots and was able to follow what was going on. 

I very much enjoyed Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. This series is never going to be breaking into anyone’s Top 5 but i thought it did what it needed to and it did it very well and restored my faith in the series. Very much looking forward to 

Comments