Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

My knowledge of Dungeons and Dragons is pretty limited. I know its popular and the closest I have come to experiencing it is watching Stranger Things and The Big Bang Theory so I was able to watch this not really expecting too much. I also know that there was a version in 2000 which isn’t very good apparently. 

I thought that this was a good film overall. Despite characters and everything else being utterly alien to me, I didn’t feel like was missing out on an in joke. There may have been some references that I didn’t get but I don’t think my enjoyment would been greater if I was more aware of the ins and outs of D&D. The film follows Edgin (Chris Pine) as he escapes from prison and tries to reunite with his daughter Kira (Chloe Coleman). Along the way he has a band of merry men & women who help him but one person stopping him is Forge who is played brilliantly by Hugh Grant. There is something about his performances recently (probably going back as far as Paddington) where with anyone else it would be a parody but with Grant it is fun to watch and whilst he is reigning it in, he is still fun to watch.


Chris Pine isn’t something that i think is the greatest actor in the world but I thought that he was really good in this. He worked quite well with Michelle Rodriguez who I have only really seen in the fast and the furious films but seemed to have a bit more of a personality that usual. Justice Smith and Sophia Lillis are also very good as Simon and Doric although Smith is at times reduced to the comedy role with his inability to do magic. 


The effects are very good and the whole thing is well paced to the degree that I thought the runtime was perfect. I would like there to be more but I don’t think that D&D is that popular outside of D&D groups which is a shame because its a recognisable property and movie studios love recognisable properties.


Comments